Sunday, April 15, 2018

Satirical Project Questions

White Supremacy

       The topic that my group choose was White Supremacy.  By definition, it is the belief that white people are superior to those of all other races, especially the black race, and should therefore dominate society.  Although New York City is a lot more diverse than the rest of this country, I felt that this problem should be clearly addressed.  One of the main reasons  is because by this September, I will be applying to colleges of my choice.  While affirmative action exists, many universities around the country do have a majority of white.  I believe that minorities deserve the same chance as white.  In addition, the mindset that certain white people have that their superior to other races creates a toxic mind.  The United States is a melting pot full off ethnicities.  Just because the country is majority white, doesn't mean they deserve special privileges.  Besides, the native inidialns were here first.  The word "native" in their name says is all.  Even so, I think that this problem exists in society because  children of White Supremacist were raised to think a certain way or that want to feel special and important.  Francis Lewis High School is very diverse although its majority asians.  As a result, I don't feel that White Supremacy exists in the school nor have I met one.  However, I do believe that it does exist in other states, especially in the south.  With a look back in history, famous White Supremacist groups such as the KKK did exist and still do today.  I don't believe that the mindset of these people have been extinguished.  
      The video my groups mates created addressed the issue because it was somewhat funny.  This will help catch the viewer's attention.  In addition, the clip is very ironic with a clear view of the problem it is addressing so viewers won't be confused.  Although I was not in the video, I did help pick the topic of White Supremacy and gather ideas for the clip.  In addition, I helped pick out the satire to use for this project and I wrote the verbal irony paragraph for the group paper.

2 comments:

  1. The use of diminution, reversal, and reduction was really helpful in demonstrating white supremacy as the satiric target. It successfully made the court case look ridiculous. Reversal was used in the beginning of the video to state that "Black lives matter" yet throughout the video, it didn't seem like it. That was really well done.

    I really liked how there were extra pictures use as props during the end of the live portion. That was a really good way to bring the point across and it greatly supported your satire project. Overall, the video and the live part was entertaining and amusing to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked the way your group used reduction in the video to show how poorly the concept of "black lives matter" is depicted in our society.

    I liked your live performance of the newscast station because it was really funny and original, especially when you guys circled the pictures.

    ReplyDelete